Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cinderella, you shall go to the ball!

The skirt guard on my beautiful Dutch bicycle allows me to wear anything, so tonight I wore 'long' to the Belvoir Street Theatre in Surry Hills when we went to see Samuel Beckett's "Happy Days"! It felt heavenly to be completely unrestricted in my wardrobe options and to be able to cycle in my favourite long dress (en ce moment, de rigueur à Sydney!) It was equally heavenly to tie up our bicycles outside the theatre, and then just hop on them at the end of the play and free-wheel down Belvoir Street before joining all the traffic in Elizabeth Street for our effortless journey back to Newtown - bliss!

(...and btw, the 'we' is me and Georgie, my youngest daughter, who is also revelling in her new European bicycle, naturally with the wind in her hair!)

4 comments:

  1. I love it. This reminds me of a great article I read on the web a few years ago. The writer was in Amsterdam and described seeing a group of people come out of the theatre in their dresses and tuxedos and ride off into the night still laughing and talking. Exactly as you describe it - great imagery. I just wish I knew where the article was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,

    Very lovely to talk to you on Saturday. Here is the podcast of our radio interview. It is shorter than I hoped but I will be doing more on this subject later.
    www.bikelove.wordpress.com

    All the very best,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, jo, it was lovely to talk to you too - all sounds great!

    ...and edward, i love your comment - it really was an amazing feeling!! - liberating and lovely

    ReplyDelete